Peter Obi, the Labour Party presidential candidate in the just concluded presidential election, has said he is taking legal action against the Peoples Gazette.
The online newspaper had recently published a purported leaked audio conversation between Obi and Bishop David Oyedepo, founder of Living Faith Church, otherwise called Winners Chapel.
On the February 24 call, a day before the presidential election, Obi could be heard pleading with the bishop to help mobilise Christian votes in his favour, calling the election a “religious war”.
Obi declared his intention to sue Peoples Gazette in a series of tweets late Wednesday. This came a day after the Nigerian Communications Commission or NCC denied tracking and leaking telephone calls, saying it does not and cannot carry out such acts by law.
Obi, in his tweet, said, “The attempts to manipulate Nigerians are very sad and wicked. Our legal team have been instructed to take appropriate legal actions against Peoples Gazette and others”.
He dismissed the defence of his spokesperson, Kenneth Okonkwo, who had earlier admitted that the audio might be true but had been maliciously tampered with by members of the APC for self-interest.
“Let me reiterate that the audio call being circulated is fake, and at no time throughout the campaign and now did I ever say, think, or even imply that the 2023 election is, or was, a religious war,” he said.
The former Anambra State governor further maintained that he is focused on reclaiming his “stolen mandate” from the APC through lawful means.
“While we call on all concerned Nigerians and the international community to implore the APC and the APC led-government to stop their nasty attacks, my focus and commitment to lawfully and peacefully retrieve our mandate to secure and unite our Nation, take Nigeria from consumption to production, pull millions of Nigerians out of multidimensional poverty, especially in the north, and jumpstart prosperity through agricultural, industrial, and technological revolution remain unchanged,” Obi said.
“Elections are over, and we are in court to retrieve our stolen mandate. Let me reiterate that we are doing so through all lawful and peaceful options in line with our legal system and constitution. I continue to implore all Nigerians to remain peaceful and law-abiding.”