Dame Irene Okwuosa Memorial Hospital or DIOMH in Oraifite, Anambra State, has started performing open heart surgeries.
The hospital was constructed by the Sir Emeka Okwuosa Foundation or SEOF to help individuals with heart problems.
According to Sir Oselloka Offoh, the spokesperson for the foundation, the May 2023 Medical Mission has commenced at the hospital.
He stated, “This year’s mission will take place from May 14th to May 26th, 2023, with highly skilled medical experts in Cardiology, Nephrology, and Critical Care from VOOM Foundation (VOOM), based in College Station, Texas, USA, providing necessary support.”
A total of 18 individuals will benefit from the foundation’s open heart surgeries during this mission.
So far, 33 adults and children have undergone open heart surgeries sponsored by SEOF and VOOM Foundation at DIOMH.
In May 2022, DIOMH successfully completed the feat of performing three open heart surgeries in a single day, alongside a grand total of 25 surgeries within a span of less than two weeks.
Among these surgeries, an impressive 23 (70%) were generously offered at no cost to the beneficiaries, while the remaining 10 (30%) were substantially subsidised , requiring only 14% – 20% of the expenses compared to what Nigerian hospitals typically charge.
The total expenses covered by SEOF for the 33 open heart surgeries in 2022 exceeded N300 million.
During the ongoing mission, the foundation will organise a Community Health Fair on May 24th, 2023, from 9am to 3pm.
The fair will provide free treatment for conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, malaria, hypertension, chronic pain, typhoid, and eye care. Free drugs and clinical examinations will also be provided.
In March 2023, Nigeria’s healthcare industry received a significant boost when the foundation distributed critical health intervention drugs worth N48 million to medical facilities across the country’s six geopolitical zones.